Search Memorials Knowledge Base by Keyword

CARLOW – Wells Royal Oak

You are here:
← All Topics
Table of Contents
Wells abbey was built around 1228 by the Holy Order of St. Francis and served the needs of a community of about 25 friars. To the west of the abbey ruins a modern-day plot of land is still refered to as "Friars Garden". The year 1228 is also significant as this was the year that St. Francis was canonized."( click to view image )
This cemetery located
on the site of the ruins of
an early Franciscan Friary
dating back to the order's
beginnings in the 13th century.
---
Nearby is the townland of Royal Oak
which has long been associated with
the Nolan family. ( click to view image )
In loving memory of
PATRICK and MARY
FITZPATRICK
Wells
Their Children JAMES
died young
WILLIAM
died May 5, 1970
MARY (nee NOLAN)
died May 26, 1970
MARGARET (nee TRAVERS)
died Oct. 1, 1979 ( click to view image )
Pray for the soul of
FRANK NOLAN of Wells
who died Feb'y 11th 1899 aged 90 yrs
Also his son JOHN NOLAN
died in America
Also his son WILLIAM NOLAN
died Jan'y 19th 1892 aged 46 yrs
Also his wife ELIZABETH NOLAN
died April 22nd 1908 aged 86 yrs ( click to view image )
Here lieth
JOHN NOWLAN
who departed this life
the 30th of June 1824
aged 15 yrs.
May the Lord have mercy
on his soul. Amen 
(no image)
Was this article helpful?
0 out of 5 stars
5 Stars 0%
4 Stars 0%
3 Stars 0%
2 Stars 0%
1 Stars 0%
How can we improve this article?